Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Busy Baby

I was astonished that it had been two weeks since I updated all of you Eli followers out there. At first I couldn't put my finger on a good excuse (other than me being lazy), but then I realized that we'd actually had a very busy baby on our hands. And busy babies make busy parents.

Since Eli has learned to pull up and to "walk" holding on to our hands he pretty much won't sit still and play. Upright is his favorite state of being now, so we accommodate by putting toys on the couch. This works for a little while, but eventually the magazines on the end tables call his name. (Sorry, Mama, but the magazines I pass on to you are going to be pretty well used from now on.)
When destroying magazines loses its charm, Eli can always resort to crawling all over the place looking for things to pull off shelves, cats to "chase," or dirt to get into. He's still doing the walrus style crawl, although he has made a few forays using the traditional hands and knees crawl.

This past week (the week between the end of the semester and the beginning of summer session) Chris took off and worked on making and installing the kitchen trim. Joy of joys!! I was busy outside planting the garden. Eli loved being outdoors with us. He discovered that grass is a lot of fun, but eating mulch is even more fun! Good thing I garden organically is all I have to say.

If all the above was not enough to keep us busy, poor Eli is now cutting his upper teeth. He's having a harder time with these than he did with the lowers and fights going down for naps. Much rocking, soothing, and Tylenol-giving have ensued. In a most unfortunate twist, the teething has coincided with him learning to stand up in the crib. Sitting back down and going to sleep is not an option apparently once you stand up.

While we are very busy caring for Eli at the moment I think that really this is the calm before the storm. We expect Eli to be walking on his own before too many more weeks judging by the concentrated effort he's putting into it at the moment. And then.... watch out!

Last, but not least, we want to send a huge 'thank you' to our friends Sarah, Eric, and Jed. A thoughtful gift of Sarah's needlework arrived last week and we all think it is beautiful.